Misaligned teeth have a significant impact on your mouth. Not only can they affect the health of your mouth, but they also impact the quality of your smile. Traditionally, misaligned teeth have been fixed with metal braces. While still a popular and effective option today, metal braces can also have a detrimental impact on your confidence (particularly in older patients). At National Dental East Meadow, we offer an invisible way to fix your misaligned teeth with Invisalign®.
Traditionally, the way to correct misaligned teeth has been with metal braces. Metal braces are still a popular option today and are frequently seen on younger teens. Braces consist of metal brackets, which are affixed to your teeth. Metal bands, which are attached to the back teeth, anchor archwires. This wire attaches to each of the brackets, and are responsible for the movement of teeth into their proper locations.
For the younger age group, metal braces are common. For older teens and adults, however, metal braces can cause your confidence to plummet. This is where Invisalign® comes in.
WHAT IS INVISALIGN®?
Invisalign® is a way to straighten your teeth without metal brackets and wires. It is a type of dental aligner, made of a clear, rigid plastic. The aligners are created using 3-dimensional images of your mouth. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign® aligners are removable and should be taken out to eat and to brush your teeth. They should, however, be worn between 20 and 22 hours each day to achieve the best results in the shortest amount of time.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Invisalign® involves a series of aligners, each one worn for two weeks at a time. They are designed to place pressure on your teeth, loosening them in their sockets to guide them in the right directions. With each new aligner, there are slight changes, which help to continue the guidance until your teeth reach their proper locations.
Treatment with Invisalign® takes between 9 to 15 months, with most patients achieving their desired results in less than a year. In some instances, treatment may take up to two years, but this is not as common. Your exact treatment time will depend upon your specific situation. In most cases, you may go through anywhere between 18 and 30 aligners during your treatment period.
There numerous advantages to Invisalign® braces:
- They are practically invisible inside your mouth. No one will be able to tell that you are wearing them.
- You have more freedom to eat your favorite foods. You do not have to worry about breaking brackets or bending wires. You simply remove Invisalign® to eat.
- You are better able to take care of your teeth. You do not have to worry about brushing and flossing between brackets and wires. Instead, you can brush and floss as normal.
- Invisalign® is more comfortable.
- There are fewer dental visits involved.
- More confidence. You do not have the metal mouth typically associated with braces. You can smile wide, even while your teeth are being moved.
Invisalign® offers you a way to straighten misaligned teeth without the need for bright metal brackets and wires. Contact National Dental East Meadow today at (516) 962-2292 to learn more and find out if Invisalign® is right for you.