Technology is constantly evolving. New developments are being created all the time. Many developments have also penetrated the dental field, aimed to better the quality of your oral care. At National Dental East Meadow, we use the latest dental technologies in our office to help keep your oral health in top form, including i-CAT imaging.
There are multiple types of imaging – X-rays, CT scans, CAT scans. i-CAT technology is a vast improvement over these imaging machines. The technology closely resembles that of an X-ray, while the images produced by it are similar to those produced by a traditional CT (computed tomography) scan. A cone-shaped X-ray beam is used to capture the images of your mouth. The beam rotates 360 degrees around your head, taking several images. Once the scan is complete, the images are strung together to produce a single 3-dimensional image that appears almost instantly on our computer monitor. Not only is the image 3-dimensional, but it also gives us a clear picture of your jawbone, your soft tissues, and even your nerves. All of these factors allow us the ability to make an accurate diagnosis and to design an optimal treatment plan.
Getting your scan is an easy, painless process. Before you begin, we will instruct you to remove any jewelry (earrings, necklaces, facial piercings), along with your glasses and hearing aids (if you wear them). You will also need to remove anything metallic from your hair, such as clips, pins or hair bands that contain metal clasps.
When ready, you will sit at the machine. You will be instructed to put your chin on the rest, and we will go about making the necessary adjustments to get the best image. From the time your scan begins to the time it ends takes less than 60 seconds. Once complete, it only takes a few more seconds for the full, 3-dimensional image to show up on the monitor.
WHAT IS I-CAT IMAGING USED FOR?
With an i-CAT image, we are afforded a much more in-depth image of the structures inside your mouth. There are numerous uses for i-CAT imaging in the dental field:
- Assessing the condition of your jawbone. We can determine if a bone graft is necessary before dental implants.
- Optimal dental implant placement.
- Examining your nasal passageways and sinus cavities.
- Getting a closer look at nerve passageways.
- Providing you with a better root canal treatment. i-CAT imaging allows us to see the internal structures of your teeth.
- Checking impacted teeth.
- Pathological disease diagnosis.
- Reconstructive jaw surgery.
I-CAT IMAGING BENEFITS
i-CAT imaging provides numerous benefits:
- Your scan is quick (less than a minute) and completely painless.
- Precise 1 to 1 measurements.
- With a 3-dimensional image, we can view your mouth from multiple angles.
- A single scan will show us soft tissues, nerves, and bone.
- The completed image shows up almost immediately after the scan is over. You can see the image as well, and it can be used to help you better understand your diagnosis and treatment options.
With the high-quality 3-dimensional images produced by the i-CAT technology, we can formulate a much more accurate diagnosis, which allows us to make a much more effective treatment plan. Contact National Dental East Meadow today at (516) 962-2292 to find out how ICAT imaging can benefit you!