AESTHETIC GUM LIFT
Your teeth are a big part of your smile. For this reason, many people focus on perfecting the appearance of their teeth – straightening them, whitening them, fixing minor damage. However, teeth are not the only aspect of a beautiful smile. Your gums are just as important. Even if your teeth are perfectly straight, white and blemish free, having excess gum tissue can diminish your beautiful smile. Often referred to as a “gummy smile”, this extra gum tissue can make your teeth appear small. At National Dental East Meadow, we can remove excess gum tissue, restoring the beauty of your smile with an aesthetic gum lift.
WHAT IS AN AESTHETIC GUM LIFT?
Often referred to as a crown lengthening, an aesthetic gum lift is a procedure designed to remove excess gum tissue. Depending on your specific circumstances, we may also need to remove a small amount of bone to achieve the desired results. When the process is complete, you are left with a more even gum line, and your teeth appear longer and more natural.
HOW IS A GUM LIFT PERFORMED?
An aesthetic gum lift can be completed in a single visit, although the exact length of time depends on a few different factors, including how many teeth are being worked on, and if any bone needs to be removed. Even if the gum tissue only needs to be corrected over a single tooth, we will also work on the tissue of the adjacent teeth, which will help to create more even results.
Gum lifts of the past were performed with a scalpel. At National Dental, we perform the procedure with a laser, helping to limit the bleeding, pain, and swelling that are typically associated with the procedure. We start with a local anesthetic. Once it has taken effect, we then move on to make incisions in your gums, which provide us with access to the roots of your teeth. We then use the laser to remove the necessary gum tissue. If necessary, small amounts of bone will also be taken out. When we are finished, we wash your gums and stitch them closed tightly around your teeth.
AESTHETIC GUM LIFT BENEFITS
There are many benefits associated with an aesthetic gum lift:
- Your gum line is evened out.
- Your teeth appear longer, and more natural.
- The gumminess to your smile is eliminated.
- Results are noticeable right away.
- Your oral health is improved. Excess gum tissue can capture and hide harmful oral bacteria that can contribute to gum disease. With the gumminess gone, oral bacteria have nowhere to hide, making your gums easier to keep clean and healthy.
- Gum lifts can also be functional. If you have a damaged tooth (a crack that extends slightly into the gum line or a cavity at the gum line), excess gum tissue can prevent proper treatment. With a gum lift, the removal of excess tissue (and bone, if necessary) allows for a crown to fit completely and comfortably in place. In the event of a cavity, removing excess gum tissue provides us with the access we need to properly clean and fill it.
Don’t let extra gum tissue take away from the quality of your smile. Contact National Dental East Meadow today at (516) 962-2292 to find out if an aesthetic gum lift is right for you.